Subject: Short term plans

EMIX:

WS-Calendar is going out for Public Review this week. Under OASIS rules, it cannot be changed during the period of a review, in this case, 60 days. This means we now have a stable specification that we can safely refer to from our Committee work.

WS-Calendar defines how to split any information model into a template and a series of specific instances over time. For example, 10 prices in different intervals would complete an incomplete price-product template. WS-Calendar also defines how to include the entire object in each interval, but that is less interesting here. In short, (Definition-->Price), (Definition-->Price), (Definition-->Price), (Definition-->Price) goes to (Definition-->Price,Price, Price,Price) in a predictable way using WS-Calendar.

The WS-Calendar model also defines how to override some elements from the definition locally. Perhaps the definition specifies 15 minute intervals and one interval is 30 minutes. (Definition(15m)-->Price,Price(30m), Price,Price).

For EMIX, each of the above patterns is useful. Using WS-Calendar, EMIX is now simpler and easier to extend.

Path going forward:

For EMIX, we need to complete the abstract framework that holds the (Product Definition) as above. The framework is defined in the general EMIX model of intrinsic qualities on the face of the envelope, extrinsic qualities in the contents, automated processing generally relies on the face of the envelope.

This framework, currently called the Abstract Product (I’d entertain another name…) defines how price , quantity, schedule and product definition get named, and how the product is processed across the WS-Calendar elements. To WS-Calendar, the Abstract Product looks something like a Calendar Gluon….

This leaves an EMIX Product looking like “the attributes of anything that can fit on the face of the envelope as described by the framework/abstract product”. That should be straightforward.

We also need to define objects for the contents. Most of the warrants inside the envelope should incorporate WS-Calendar in a manner analogous to that used in the Product.  We may need to consider date and time inheritance rules as well.

If we can focus on the framework, then we have only these straightforward descriptions left. We should be able to polish *them* off quickly.  I welcome comments on the framework and the abstract comment before this week’s meeting.

tc

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com