Subject: Todays discussion on Managed/Collaborative discussion on working draft 05

Just a few thought (sorry about the length!) regarding the discussion today on section 2.3 since the group seemed to struggle with the definition of these two items.  Below is some food for thought and discussion.

Cheers,

Gale

OASIS Energy Interoperation Version 1.0  Working Draft 05

Comments on 2.3 Managed and Collaborative Energy (lines 312 – 376)

First a few general comments to frame my perspective.  Coming from a background in the appliance industry (engineering lead and energy focus leader at Whirlpool Corp) I tend to take a perspective that enables process-oriented systems and devices as well as the more independent persistent devices.  There is also a consumer perspective retained in my thinking.  Perhaps a realization that the dynamic consumer choice will always be a consideration for certain types of devices and systems in responding to energy directives.

With persistent devices the consumer may have minimal interactions with the end use load making them a prime candidate for managed energy.  Some of the process-oriented devices have critical interactions with load times, temperatures, consumables, as well as the customer.  Although these loads cannot be managed directly, they can be impacted by appropriately designed energy communication messaging.

There still seems to be a few key issues at play in our Managed vs Collaborative Energy definition that, as was apparent on the call today.  At first I was wondering if they keys are related to the level of intelligence at the end nodes.  For example:  Is the load able to respond “smartly” if given information about conditions, duration of response needed, and price etc?  If any intelligence is needed or the load is variable, it would seem to push the device into the collaborative energy category.

But after a bit more thought, I’m drawing closer to arriving at the conclusion that we still have an underlying issue that boils down to required response vs optional response.

Perhaps the reliability of the response along with knowledge of the amount of response is the gist of section 2.3 (lines 313-327) particularly 2.3.1 which includes the phrase: “the energy provider directly manages the devices and systems in the end nodes using direct control signals”.  This single statement seems to define direct load control (DLC) as in the traditional load control programs.  However, it would seem that the reliability or a required response is the motivation as opposed to the ability to directly control an end load?

If the energy is “Managed”, then the decision to limit the energy utilized at the end node is determined by a utility entity and not the end customer at the grid end node.  If a building, customer, automated client, or even an OpenADR system pre-agrees (either contractually or in a real-time dynamic declaration) on the ability to curtail, then the energy is called MANAGED since a external decision by an up-stream utility entity manages that energy directly on command even if there were a server in the middle managing the end use loads involved.

If it’s not “managed” as in our definition above, then this basic distinction would imply that we could change the name of the other category from “Collaborative” to “Motivated”.  This leave us with the two categories titled MANAGED ENERGY and MOTIVATED ENERGY.  So, how do we motivate energy consumption to change?  (Alright, you may already be ahead of me.) That would be where PRICE or contractual motivations come into play.

Perhaps the managed vs motivated distinction can bring some finality to some common misconceptions about PRICE vs DR and we could state that:

1.      Managed Energy carries with it the expectation (requirement / guarantee) of a response.  We will NOT refer to price communications as Managed Energy. (We probably should not refer to price motivation as DR either.)

2.      We will NOT assume that Motivated Energy (e.g. the transmission of price signals) can be expected to result in the same changes in load compared with Managed Energy or DR.  This is particularly applicable to process-oriented devices / systems.  These grid end nodes can respond with a respectable amount of aggregated load motivated by price.  But these loads may never be considered as being able to deliver a required response (e.g. managed response) since the final decision of whether to respond is left at the grid end node.

We may find that communicating the right information will increase the response rate of these devices and systems motivating them to respond as desired.  But they would not be classified as managed energy by our previous definition. If a demand response automation server is able to aggregate enough price-motivated response to guarantee some level of reliability, it would be fair game to identify the aggregated energy server as “Managed Energy”.

Thoughts   … on or off track …. fact or fiction?

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
942 Corridor Park Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37932
Office: 865-218-8078

Mobile: 865-368-2603