entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Re: Defining longest match

/ Rob Lugt <roblugt@elcel.com> was heard to say:
| A little while ago, Paul raised the point [1] "Now that we are doing
| normalization, I'm not sure "longest" is well-defined.  In
| any case, I think we have to define it explicitly.  Are we counting
| normalized or unnormalized characters..."
|
| I don't think this has been clarified in the spec.

This was briefly discussed and we concluded that there was nothing to
clarify.

| For convenience, it
| would be helpful if the longest match is based on the normalized value of
| the system identifier/URI reference as this implies that the normalization
| can occur as the internal catalog data model is created rather than having
| to wait until after the elements are sorted.

All of the comparison clauses say explicitly that matching is
performed on normalized values, so I don't think any other comparison
strategy is possible.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Before doing someone a favour, make sure that
XML Standards Engineer | he isn't a madman.--Eug\'ene Labiche