entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Re: [entity-resolution-comment] Some queries on the XML Catalogsspec

/ Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> was heard to say:
| (You certainly make it hard to post comments here!  The address in the
| spec is wrong - is has an "s" on the end of comment - and you can't
| subscribe in the way it describes.)

Fixed.

| I'm implementing the XML Catalogs spec for RXP, working from the 21
| Feb 2003 draft, and I have a few queries:

Cool!

| Is the system identifier input to the resolver the system identifier
| as it appears in the document, or the result of absolutizing that?
| Presumably the latter, but it doesn't seem to say that in section 7.1.

It's the former, as Paul said. I don't see any obvious way to say that
in the spec, though. The resolver uses whatever you hand it.

| Step 3 of 7.1.2 does not mention that the rewriteSystem entry with the
| longest systemIdStartString is the only one used.  This is stated in
| 6.5.5, but it should be explicit in the description of the algorithm.

Fixed.

| Section 6.3 does not explicitly say whether the hex digits in a
| %-escape inserted during normalization must be in upper or lower case,
| though the use of %HH might be taken to mean upper case.  Since there
| is no mention of these being matched case-insensitively, it is
| important which are used.

I recall some discussion recently that suggested U/C was the more widely
accepted choice, so I've added that.

| Is there a recommended way to handle external identifiers when parsing
| catalog files themselves?  Obviously they cannot be looked up in the
| catalog.  Is it reasonable to have a copy of catalog.dtd built-in to
| the parser and special-case its system and public identifiers?

This is a *really* good point and one that I stumbled over just
recently myself.

(Lauren, I'd like to discuss this at the next meeting.)

Richard, what do you think the right answer is?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | All the good maxims already exist in the
XML Standards Architect | world; we just fail to apply them.--Pascal
Web Tech. and Standards |
Sun Microsystems, Inc.  |