entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Re: [entity-resolution-comment] Why "string" instead of"uri-reference"?

/ "John L. Clark" <jlc6@po.cwru.edu> was heard to say:
| In XML Catalog elements such as the uri element, why are the "source"
| portions of the mapping (in the case of the uri element, the name
| attribute) not specified as being of type uri-reference and subject to
| the same base URI resolution effect?  It seems that the functionality
| here is to take one URI and map it directly to another URI, and so I
| don't understand why it is specified as taking a string and mapping it
| to a URI.

They are strings specifically because we don't want them to be subject
xml:base processing. Consider:

  <group xml:base="/schema/root/">
    <uri name="myschema.rng" uri="path/to/myschema.rng"/>
  </group>

If the following element occurs in a schema that's being parsed:

  <include href="myschema.rng"/>

then the uri entry above should match, irrespective of the base URIs in
question.

This feature is hampered by the bug in SAX that it expands system
identifiers to their absolute form before sending them to the resolver.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

PGP signature