entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Re: [entity-resolution-comment] Public Comment

| Name: Bob Stayton
| Title:  Principal Consultant
| Regarding Specification: XML Catalogs Committee Specification 1.0, 03 June 2003
|
| If a catalog has a group with prefer="public", and it contains both
| "system" and "public" entries for a resource, and an external identifier
| contains both a public and system identifier, shouldn't the public
| identifier be checked in the catalog first?  According to section 7.1.2
| "Resolution of External Identifiers" in the XML Catalog spec, step 2 says a
| matching "system" entry is used regardless, and the public identifier would
| never be considered (since it is in step 5).  But step 5 seems to contradict
| step 2. Shouldn't step 5 appear before step 2 in the resolution order?

No. If your catalog contains a system entry that matches the system
identifier provided, that entry always wins.

The preference for public identifiers only comes into play when the
catalog does not contain a matching system entry. In that case, if
prefer=public, a matching public entry is used. If prefer=system, the
system identifier *in the original document* is used, and any matching
public identifier is ignored.

The third possibility, a document that contains only a public
identifier, does not arise in XML. Although if you are parsing SGML
documents against the catalog, it is appropriate to use a matching
public identifier in that case irrespective of the preference.

I'm trying to improve the text of 4.1 and 4.1.1 to make this clearer.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

PGP signature