Subject: Re: Catalog Requirements

Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca> was heard to say:
> | understanding what gets applied where. It would also help with
> | precedence questions. I would want a STYLESHEET and a NAMESPACE keyword.
>
> There should be *no* precedence questions. If you're looking for a
> stylesheet, use the STYLESHEET mapping, if you're looking for a
> namespace, use that one.

Exactly.

> I think we should have an API (er, are we going to define a standard
> API?  Yes, let's, I say) that lets you select only one category at a
> time.

Wow. I'm a little scared about defining an API; maybe that should go in
the requirements as a "we should think about this" rather than a "we
have to do this to declare victory".

> The interesting question is, what are we going to do about delegation?
> Off the top of my head, I see a small conflict. Delegation makes sense
> for public identifiers (as described in TR9401), but it also makes
> sense for URNs, which could apply across categories. Hmmm....
>
> | We could also think about some "hints" for extensions to meet other uses
> | that we haven't specified yet to help steer extensions in a direction
> | that can be standardised readily later.
>
> Got anything in mind?

Maybe a "x-" keyword prefix for people who want to define their own? I
haven't given this any thought at all but I think we may need some sort
of extension mechanism.