Subject: Re: Catalog Requirements

At 13:59 2000 11 20 -0800, Terry Allen wrote:
>Paul wrote, in part:
>Not to argue with the issue of scope, but I kinda want an example
>of why calling out these functional/contextual classes makes a
>difference (except for DELEGATE, perhaps).  I observed before that
>it's rare that the same entity gets used in two contexts.  Am I
>wrong?

Well, "rarely ambiguous" is still troubling, I would think.

But, in fact, you're right that one doesn't usually use
the same entity in two contexts.  That helps make my point.
You want to be able to map the same string into different
SOIs depending on the original string's context.

>| Maybe an example would help explain what I'm saying.
>|
>| document instance
>| -----------------
>|
>| <?xml version="1.0"?>
>| <!DOCTYPE foo PUBLIC "xxx" "yyy" [
>| <!ENTITY bar SYSTEM "xxx">
>| <?xml-stylesheet href="xxx" type="text/css"?>
>| ]>
>| <foo xmlns="xxx">
>| &bar;
>| </foo>

>It needs to be fixed; try filling in some real identifiers.

Why?  What's broken?  What's unreal about the identifiers?
In what way is "xxx" not a valid public or system id?
(It's not currently appreciated as a namespace name since
it isn't absolute, but then replace all "xxx" with, say,
"http://acme.net/xxx", and you'll have the same situation.)

Certainly we don't want to insist that users must refer to CSS
stylesheets with an identifier that ends in ".css" and external
subsets with system identifiers that end in ".dtd" and to external
parsed entities that end in ".ent" and that they can't use public
ids that have a dot four characters from the end.  So there is no
reason that my example above is necessarily broken.

The point is that the same string of datatype "URI" could
represent a valid public id, system id, namespace name, etc.,
but you might want to map it into different things depending
on its context.  Therefore, its context must be one of the
axes of the resolution process.

paul