Subject: Re: URI, SOI (off topic)

At 15:01 2000 11 21 -0800, Terry Allen wrote:
>| | And yes, you could have used different URLs for the DTD and the
>| | style sheet.  I think that that's the only way in which you'll ever
>| | be able to count on that instance being processed the same way
>| | by various tools.
>|
>| Tools that understand xmlcat will work just fine with
>|
>| <system id="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/" soi="docbook.dtd"/>
>| <stylesheet id="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/" soi="docbook.css"/>
>| <schemaloc id="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/" soi="docbook.xsd"/>
>
>I was commenting on the instance, not the catalogue.  The instance
>won't work with existing tools.

Nor would the very reasonable instance:

 <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.0//EN" "docbookx.dtd">
 <book>...</book>

without a catalog, so saying "the instance, not the catalog" isn't
useful.  And Norm's instance will work with current tools (at least
as far as the PUBLIC and SYSTEM ids--the stylesheet and schemaloc
are new suggestions, but the point remains).  They will work
fine with tools that support the TR9401:1997 OASIS catalog, of
which there are a fair number including most of James Clark's
SGML tools and Arbortext's SGML and XML tools.  Given that this
OASIS TC is, in general terms, tasked with coming up with an XML
format for what is basically the TR9401 catalog, why would you want
to ignore TR9401 tools or requestion the solutions to the problems
that TR9401 already addresses?

paul