Subject: Re: URI, SOI (off topic)

And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Norm wrote:
| | But I was saying that the instance wasn't interoperable without
| | some additional machinery *beyond* a catalogue.
|
| Why do we care about machinery beyond a catalogue? With a catalog,
| it is interoperable. If the world could be made interoperable without
| catalogs, we could all go home now, couldn't we?
|
| | Do James's tools really fetch DTDs via HTTP given a URL
| | such as
| |
| | 	http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/
| |
| | (which currently is an HTML page, so can't be used for testing)?
|
| No, they'd fetch the HTML page at the moment. Although with the new
| MIME types for XML, you could get content negotiation working, I
| think.

And you'd need the machinery for doing content negotiation, which
is exactly what I was talking about (though perhaps not writing
about clearly).  Instead of typologizing entities and requiring
content negotiation for URLs that really denote directories
(and conventionally resolve to something else) we could just
use precise URLs or URNs and make everything simpler - though
not backward compatible with the socat's use of SGML semantics
(which I think Paul feels to be a requirement even though we
may not have stated it as such, and I more or less agree -
I'm just exploring).

regards, Terry