Subject: Re: first proposal

/ Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca> was heard to say:
| I would like to propose that everyone read his document available at
| http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/XCatalog.html
| and that we then figure out whether it makes a suitable starting
| point.

I think it makes a very suitable starting point. I would suggest the
following explicit changes:

1. Make all element and attribute names strictly lowercase
2. Drop <base> in favor of xml:base
3. Rename <map> to <public>
4. Rename <remap> to <system>

That would give us:

<!ELEMENT public EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST public
  publicid CDATA #REQUIRED
  href CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT system EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST system
  systemid CDATA #REQUIRED
  href CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT delegate EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST delegate
  publicid CDATA #REQUIRED
  href CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT extend EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST extend
  href CDATA #REQUIRED>

This immediately raises some questions:

a. Should we use consistent source/target attribute names?
b. If so, should we make them global attributes?
c. Can we think of a better name than "extend" for the functionality
   of loading an additional catalog? I think "extend" will lead people
   to "extensibility" and they'll get confused.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | Things work out best for those who make the
XML Technology Center     | best of the way things work out.