Subject: Re: semantics of delegating system ids [was: Proposal for XML syntaxfor catalogs]

/ John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> was heard to say:
| Paul Grosso wrote:
|
| > So exactly how do we fit in delegation of system ids?
|
| First I want to be convinced.  Given that system ids are
| always URIs in XML, what is the use case for allowing
| delegation on them at all?

Here's the use case. Suppose you deal with documents like this one:

  <!DOCTYPE foo SYSTEM "urn:x-ndw:dtd:xml:foo:1.0" [
  <!ENTITY bar SYSTEM "urn:x-ndw:entity:foo:bar">
  <!ENTITY baz SYSTEM "urn:x-ndw:entity:foo:baz">
  ]>...

Imagine further that you aren't the owner of x-ndw, but you know where
he keeps his catalog. You might want to add

  <delegate systemIdPrefix="urn:x-ndw:"
            catalog="http://nwalsh.com/catalog.xml"/>

to your catalog and just let that fool over at nwalsh.com deal with it.

However,

1. Paul Grosso has pointed out that I vastly underestimated the
   complexity of allowing both system and public delegation.

2. Terry Allen pointed out in private email that colons are not
   defined as delimiters for hierarchical URNs. (In other words, you
   can use colons, but you don't have to).

3. And I've that delegation of system ids is not required to declare
   victory in 1.0.

So I withdraw the suggestion. But I still favor the syntax:

  <delegate publicIdPrefix="public-id-prefix" catalog="catalog"/>

In case we want to do something with system identifiers later.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | The perfect man has no method; or rather
XML Technology Center     | the best of methods, which is the method of