Subject: Re: FAQ entry

At 16:33 2001 01 05 -0800, Lauren Wood wrote:
>We need an FAQ for "what is entity resolution". . . .
>
>Entity resolution is the process that an XML processor goes
>through when it has to find another file* in order to complete
>processing the file it's working on. The file could be labelled by
>name, public identifier, or system identifier. These identifiers can
>be mapped to a real existing file; the mapping is called an entity
>resolution catalog.
>
>* file is used here for simplicity; it could take any number of forms.

Just another attempt:

Entity resolution is the process that an XML processor goes
through when it has been requested to find another file* in the course of
processing the file it's working on. The XML processor knows labelling
information about the file such as its system identifier and possibly
a name, public identifier, and so forth. These identifiers can
be used to determine the actual location of the desired external file.
This determination process (which "maps" the known labelling information
into an actual location) is called an entity resolution, and the
file that contains the specific mapping information is called the
entity resolution catalog.

* file is used here for simplicity, but could be any other resource
  consisting of such things as declarations, a parsed entity, an
  unparsed entity, etc.

paul