Subject: Re: locating schemas via public ids

/ Leland David <David.LEland@informa.com> was heard to say:
| I agree with this suggestion.  However, does that mean something other than
| the way that SYSTEM and PUBLIC identifiers are mentioned in
| "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml"?

There is no DOCTYPE declaration associated with XML Schemas. So there's
no identifying PUBLIC or SYSTEM keyword.

The equivalent, such as it is, to a DOCTYPE declaration in the XML
Schema world is the xsi:schemaLocation hint:

<article xmlns='http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlschema/4.1.2'
	 xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance'
	 xsi:schemaLocation='
	     http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlschema/4.1.2
             docbook.xsd'>

In this case, the hint suggests that the document located at the
relative URI 'docbook.xsd' might be the XML Schema for the namespace
named 'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlschema/4.1.2'.

Paul suggested (and then retracted) an extension to the xsi:schemaLocation
hint that would have allowed public identifiers:

	 xsi:schemaLocation='
             "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML Schema V4.1.2.2//EN"
             docbook.xsd
	     http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlschema/4.1.2
             docbook.xsd'>

I was concerned that the public and system identifiers could not be
disambiguated in that string, but Paul's intent (IIUC) was that a
quoted string was a public identifier and an unquoted one was a system
identifier.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM    | Where it is permissible both to die and
Technology Development Group | not to die, it is an abuse of valour to