Subject: minutes from ER TC 20010429

Present: Lauren, Norm, David, Normand, Paul, John, Tony

Minutes from the last meeting accepted.

Proposal to meet each week: postpone until the end of the call.

Can we resolve the override PI issue? Do we actually want it, now we've
decided a little about how it would work if we did want it?

Yes: David, Normand, Paul, John, Tony
Concur: Norm, Lauren

We are talking about XML processors that implement catalog processing (or,
in Norm's words, XML processors that claim conformance to this standard);
interoperability is an important point. No-one wishes "may" as the adverb.
Vote on Must vs. Should:
Must: John
Should: David, Normand, Tony, Norm, Lauren
Concur: Paul

There will often be relative URIs in there; how are these resolved? Are
names in the system catalog path subject to resolution by previous catalogs?
No. But we do need to specify what relative URIs in the catalog are resolved
to. Is it the document instance itself?

The system catalog path (the list of names of catalog entry files that you
start with) is implementation-defined; it may be where the executable is, or
where the File.Open dialog starts, or the fixed word "catalog", etc. Norm
will update the section in the spec and we will postpone the rest of the
discussion until then.

Everybody agrees to hold off on the big splash for the time being.

Open Issues:
11: we will use a URN. Norm will take the issue up with OASIS and get a
suitable URN from Karl.

14: Outside our scope. John is writing a document to specify what XML allows
in public IDs and match against the URN syntax.

15: failure to retrieve a resource: go on to the next resource. Maybe
implementation could ignore the inaccessible catalog and continue. In
particular, if there are catalog entry files on the internet, some are not
there and the next one is a fallback. We are agreed that the implementation
must ignore the inaccessible catalog and may issue a warning (the warning
bit need not go in the specification).

21: Not quick. Norm and John to send email.

22: is this out of scope? John is writing a 9401-to-catalog converter.
Should this be part of the catalog spec? We will put this in a non-normative
appendix; John and Norm can figure out the namespace for 9401; John will
figure out the element names for the 9401 namespace.

Calls every week? Everyone agrees, effective immediately.

Norm will set up the conference call.