Subject: What John thinks: public id to URN mapping

My take on the 9 issues:

 > Issue 1. How shall we encode SPACE? As %20, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9? Note that
 > leading, trailing, and consecutive spaces are impossible
 > in normalized public ids.

Encode SPACE as "+".

 > Issue 2. How shall we encode APOSTROPHE? As %27, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

 > Issue 3. How shall we encode QUESTION MARK? As %3F, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

 > Issue 4. How shall we encode SOLIDUS? As %2F, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

 > Issue 5. How shall we encode NUMBER SIGN? As %23, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

 > Issue 6. How shall we encode PERCENT SIGN? As %25, or by using
 > one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

%-encode all of these.

 > Issue 7. How shall we encode the component separator in
 > FPIs? The FPI encoding is generally "//" but in one case " ".
 > We could encode it in the same way as these character
 > sequences, or use a special encoding.

Encode *every* "//" sequence as ":", even if the public id
is not an FPI.  Don't worry about the space separator between
the document type and the document title, just encode it as +
as usual.

 > Issue 8. How shall we encode the sub-component separator
 > in FPIs? The FPI encoding is "::". We could encode it
 > in the same way as these character sequences, or use a special
 > encoding.

Encode *every* "::" sequence as ";", even if the public id is
not an FPI.

With these changes, the RFC need not distinguish between FPIs
and non-formal public ids.

 > Issue 9. The characters PLUS SIGN, COMMA, COLON, EQUALS SIGN,
 > SEMICOLON, COMMERCIAL AT, and DOLLAR SIGN are available for use
 > as part of the encoding machinery. If we use any of them,
 > how shall we encode their appearances direcly in a public id?
 > (For example, if we use COLON to help deal with any of issues
 > 1-8, we need an encoding for original COLONs appearing in
 > the public id.)

%-encode PLUS, COLON, and SEMICOLON, but do not encode + when it
is initial.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com