Subject: Re: What John thinks: public id to URN mapping

At 18:28 2001 05 04 +0100, Tony Coates wrote:
>On 04/05/2001 16:01:09 John Cowan wrote:
>
>>Encode *every* "::" sequence as ";", even if the public id is
>>not an FPI.
>
>Norm suggested this too, but I would like to suggest "," (comma) instead.  Why?
>Colon are Unix separators, semi-colons are Windows separators, and if you mix
>both in an expression, you are likely to confuse one group or other with the
>precedence.  I think both groups would see the comma as a lower-order separator.
>I mean, the erudite among us won't be confused either way, but I like to worry
>about the great unwashed as well.

If we use a comma as a special character, we would then need to
encode commas, and they are slightly more common in FPIs than
are semi-colons (consider owner identifiers such as "Acme, Inc.").

And anyone confused between a comma and semi-colon should not be
encoding public ids as URNs.

I prefer semi-colons.

paul