Subject: Re: New draft published: 27 Apr 2001

/ Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com> was heard to say:
|   General:  Why do we have all uppercase URI in delegateURI but
| we have all lowercase uri for the uri entry type?

Because the editor isn't sure how to balance the conflicting
conventions of capitalizing "URI" and using initial-lowercase camel
case for identifiers.

| I see you've decided to do systemid delegation before publicid matching.

Good point. I had to decide where to put it and that's what I did :-)

| Since delegation is sort of saying "I don't have a match in this
| catalog entry file, so try elsewhere", I could see an argument for
| doing publicid matching before systemid delegation.  Could you
| outline the pros and cons of each, preferably giving some user
| scenarios that would support one or the other order?

My reasoning was this: if a system identifier is provided and a
matching SYSTEM entry exists, it always wins, regardless of any
possible public identifier matching. I think it follows that if you
have delegated some set of system identifiers, they should also have
the highest priority.

But the argument that delegate is a kind of fallback is also
reasonable.

This was one of the issues that we knew would arise if we added system
delegation. I don't think there's a universally right answer, we
simply have to pick one.

| I'd like to see step 8 and 9 replaced by a single step that says
| something like "Indicate to the calling application that no match was found."

I agree.

| Under URI Resolution, the 6 step algorithm, as I discuss above,
| replace step 6 with "Indicate to the calling application that no
| match was found."

Yep.

| That means it could appear in the middle of the internal subset.  I
| thought we said it had to appear before the doctype decl, if any.
| (And if we do that, that obviates the need for the second bullet.)

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't see why we can't allow it
after the doctype declaration. It just won't have any effect on
retrieval of the DTD if it occurs after, but it might allow you to
retrieve common entity sets. But I don't feel strongly.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | What is familiar is what we are used to; and
XML Standards Engineer | what we are used to is most difficult to