Subject: Re: default names of the catalog

/ John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> was heard to say:
| Paul Grosso scripsit:
|
|  > That way, if an author wants to avoid this behavior, they can put
|  > <?oasis-xml-catalog catalog=""?>
|  > into the docuent (is there anything wrong this--the null relative URI
|  > resolves to the current document which shouldn't be a catalog and so
|  > should just be ignored, right?
|
| Umm, why can't the current document contain a catalog?  All non-catalog
| elements should be ignored anyway, so if there's a catalog *somewhere*
| (searching desperately under the manure pile) it will be treated as such.

No, we agreed that if an element is ignored, all of its descendants
are also ignored. So unless the root element was a recognized element
in our namespace, nothing would happen.

OTOH, we should probably consider what's in the catalog
pseudo-attribute more carefully. I expect the only useful answer is,
"it's a URI". But that means that

  <?oasis-xml-catalog catalog="#catalog"?>

or even

  <?oasis-xml-catalog catalog="http://example.com/catalog.xml#xpointer(...)"?>

are syntactically legitimate.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Endurance is frequently a form of
XML Standards Engineer | indecision.--Elizabeth Bibesco