Subject: Re: Unwrapping urn:public:...

On 08/05/2001 13:34:01 Norman Walsh wrote:

>That's an even greater extension and I think it's going to far.
>
>Right now:
>
>  urn:publicid:* would match "urn:publicid:*"
>
>The proposal, as I understand it, is that we should allow
>
>  urn:publicid:-:* to match "-//*"
>
>I think going the last step and allowing
>
>  -//* to match "urn:publicid:-:*"
>
>is adding unnecessary confusion for users and burden for implementors.

Quite the opposite.  The unnecessary confusion for users is that you only want
to support the "urn:publicid:..." form to match both kinds of FPI.  And, when
the poor sods ask why, they will be told that it was to reduce it was to reduce
the burden on the poor implementors.  I couldn't sell that excuse, could anyone?

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========
Anthony B. Coates