Subject: Re: Unwrapping urn:public:...

Tony Coates wrote:

>We aren't reinventing anything.  I certainly saw "+" in URLs long before I saw
>"%20".  It just happens that Netscape people tend to use the "+" form and IE
>users tend to use "%20" (or just a plain space).

Having never seen '+' as a white space in a url, used in my decade of markup experience, I cannot vouch for your experience.  And having used Netscape for all of that time, I am bewildered by your assertin that netscape people used it.

I cannot recollect '+' used for HTML or SGML, and don't know why we'd want to satrt XML down that path.

Regards,
David Leland
Tony.Coates@reuters.com wrote on 5/9/01 1:40:45 AM

On 08/05/2001 15:41:43 entity-resolution wrote:

>I have been thinking this all along.  I cannot truly understand why we have
>reinvented the nomenclature for the white space in the url either.  Is not
>'%20' good enough?

We aren't reinventing anything.  I certainly saw "+" in URLs long before I saw
"%20".  It just happens that Netscape people tend to use the "+" form and IE
users tend to use "%20" (or just a plain space).  In suggesting "+", I simply
suggested the longstanding and traditional replacement for spaces in URLs which
is the easier of the two alternatives to read.  Or is my reading of history
incorrect here?  I only remember it as I experienced it, which may not be as it
happened.

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========