Subject: retrieving vs. dereferencing

I just had a potential issue pointed out to me, which I would like to get
your input on.

XML 1.0 version 1.0 stated "The SystemLiteral is called the entity's system
identifier. It is a URI, which may be used to retrieve the entity." The word
"retrieve" allowed for the possibility of a catalog sitting in the middle to
point the system identifier at where it should be.

XML 1.0 second edition changed that to "The SystemLiteral is called the
entity's system identifier. It is a URI reference (as defined in [IETF RFC
2396], updated by [IETF RFC 2732]), meant to be dereferenced to obtain input
for the XML processor to construct the entity's replacement text."

The definition of derefencing seems to be rather fuzzy - is it fuzzy enough
for us to be allowed to have a catalog processor in there? The URI RFC
doesn't seem to allow for any catalog processor that I could see in its
definition of the URI reference.