Subject: Re: What about urn:publicid: in the catalog?

On 15 May 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Lauren Wood <lauren@softquad.com> was heard to say:
> | If a resolver is passed a urn:publicid as the value of a system id or a URI,
> | then we take the unwrapped value and assume that to be the value of the
> | public id.
>
> What implication does this decision have for:
>
>   <uri name="urn:publicid:foo" uri="something.else"/>
>
> and
>
>   <system name="urn:publicid:bar" uri="another.something.else"/>
>
> 1. They're perfectly fine, they'll just never match.

I don't understand what you mean by "match" here. Each other?
Anything else in the catalog?

> 2. They're automagically transformed into
>
>      <public publicid="foo" uri="something.else"/>
>      <public publicid="bar" uri="another.something.else"/>

I don't think so.

I'm beginning to think that if people have used a urn:publicid as
their system ID, then it should only be "unwrapped" for the
purposes of matching against an existing public ID. Otherwise, the
matching should be against the string, which happens to begin with
urn:publicid, just as it would be for any other URI reference.