Subject: Re: What about urn:publicid: in the catalog?

On 15 May 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> The SAX entityResolver() function takes two arguments, a public ID and
> a system ID, in that order. We've said that a call to
>
>   entityResolver(null, "urn:publicid:foo")
>
> will be automatically treated as if the actual call had been:
>
>   entityResolver("foo", null)
>
> so this entry in the catalog:
>
>   <system name="urn:publicid:bar" uri="another.something.else"/>
>
> can never possibly match because there's no way to put the string
> "urn:publicid:..." in a system identifier. We turn strings of that
> form into public identifiers.

So then the question is whether we should continue to do this, or
whether we should allow urn:publicid as a string, except for the
case where there is already a public ID where we want to check
whether it matches the other one. [Yes, I know this isn't what we
said yesterday.]

Thus, entityResolver(null, "urn:publicid:foo")
will not be automatically treated as if the actual call had been:
 entityResolver("foo", null)
but in the special case of
entityResolver("foo", "urn:publicid:foo")
we would check whether the foo's match up, and take the first "foo"
if they don't, if the implementation recovers from the error.

Is this doable, or just too weird?