Subject: Re: System URIs

Norman Walsh wrote:
> | >what I thought the SAX spec demanded. Skimming for that statement, the
> | >closest thing I find is:
> | >
> | >    If the system identifier is a URL, the SAX parser must resolve it
> | >    fully before reporting it to the application.
> | >
> | >But I think that's referring to what the entityResolver() returns, not
> | >what it must be given.
> | >

> | This is the phrase I was referring to.  If you read the surrounding
context,
> | especially the preamble for EntityResolver() you will see that, from the
SAX
> | perspective, the implementer of EntityResolver *is* the application.  So
the
> | EntityResolver must be given a resolved, absolute URL.
>
> At the very least, it's ambiguously worded.

Perhaps it is ambiguous, but on reflection I see that (for the given
interface to be usable) relative URIs really have to be resolved.  The SAX
interface doesn't allow for the URI of the containing entity to be
determined, so the resolver would have no way of resolving the URI itself.
Presumably this is the reason that "the SAX parser must resolve it fully
before reporting it to the application [EntityResolver]"

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology