Subject: Re: Comments on latest draft

At 11:13 2001 06 13 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com> was heard to say:
>| >
>| >John's right, we don't have this one nailed down yet. Now that you
>| >raise the issue, I think the prefix should probably be a URI reference
>| >and it should be made absolute with the current base URI.
>|
>| What do you mean by this?  When you say "prefix", are you talking
>| about the input one or the resulting one?  If the returned one, what
>| does it mean for it to be a URI reference--I thought it would just be
>| a string that replaces the prefix in the original.  When you say
>| "absolute with the current base URI", current where--in the catalog
>| (where it was found as a right hand side) or in the original document?
>
>Given
>
>  <catalog xml:base="file:///share/doctypes/">
>
>    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://example.com/"
>                   rewritePrefix="example/">
>
>  </catalog>
>
>If this the only catalog entry file, and the resolver is asked to
>resolve, "http://example.com/dtds/foo.dtd", what does it return:
>
>1. "example/dtds/foo.dtd"
>
>or
>
>2. "file:///share/doctypes/example/dtds/foo.dtd"
>
>As the 12 Jun draft is written, I think the result is 1, but I now
>think the answer should really be 2.

I think it should be 1, and then "example/dtds/foo.dtd" gets
absolutized according to the base URI in force at the point where
the "http://example.com/dtds/foo.dtd" was found.  For example, I
might have packaged my document in a directory that also contained
an example/dtds/ directory that mirrored the example.com/dtds/ site,
and then I send that directory (containing the document and that
example/dtds/ stuff) along with my catalog off to you.

If you want the behavior you show in 2, then it's easy enough to put

  <catalog xml:base="file:///share/doctypes/">

    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://example.com/"
                   rewritePrefix="file:///share/doctypes/example/">

  </catalog>

in your catalog.

paul