Subject: Re: Comments on latest draft

/ Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com> was heard to say:
| >Given
| >
| >  <catalog xml:base="file:///share/doctypes/">
| >
| >    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://example.com/"
| >                   rewritePrefix="example/">
| >
| >  </catalog>
| >
| >If this the only catalog entry file, and the resolver is asked to
| >resolve, "http://example.com/dtds/foo.dtd", what does it return:
| >
| >1. "example/dtds/foo.dtd"
| >
| >or
| >
| >2. "file:///share/doctypes/example/dtds/foo.dtd"
| >
| >As the 12 Jun draft is written, I think the result is 1, but I now
| >think the answer should really be 2.
|
| I think it should be 1, and then "example/dtds/foo.dtd" gets
| absolutized according to the base URI in force at the point where
| the "http://example.com/dtds/foo.dtd" was found.  For example, I
| might have packaged my document in a directory that also contained
| an example/dtds/ directory that mirrored the example.com/dtds/ site,
| and then I send that directory (containing the document and that
| example/dtds/ stuff) along with my catalog off to you.

If you sent the catalog, then you can use this:

   <catalog>
     <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://example.com/"
                    rewritePrefix="example/">
   </catalog>

And since catalog is presumably in your mirrored directory, you'll get
the result you want.

That may not, however, change your mind.

One underlying concern I have is that if we go with 1 from above, then
rewrite is the only case where the catalog does not return an absolute
URI reference.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | It is not failure of others to appreciate your
XML Standards Engineer | abilities that should trouble you, but rather