Subject: Re: SAX 2.0 baseURI property was: Re: SAX 2.0 Enhancementproposal(2ndEd)

Rob Lugt wrote:

> > Jonathan, I like this proposal... a lot.  Unless I am missing something
> > imagine others will feel the same.  It has the advantage of leaving
> > EntityResolver, DTDHandler and Locator unchanged, but seems to provide
the
> > required information.
> >

> Unfortunately I can think of at least one example where it would not give
> the correct value.  If the original system identifier was absolute, the
> "difference" algorithm could still result in a relative URI.  This,
> presumably, would not be the desired outcome.

It depends on what the desired outcome is, and what the intentions of the
entity catalog remapping are. For a class of baseURIs and absoluteURIs it
will be obvious that the "difference" may only share a "http:" scheme (for
example), so this will be obvious.

I haven't investigated for which range of URIs this is helpful etc. I am
just trying to come up with a reasonable solution that does not depend on
changing a huge number of installed parsers, and hence will facilitate the
adoption of entity resolution software.

-Jonathan