Subject: Re: 3 implementations

Tony.Coates@reuters.com wrote:

>On 29/08/2001 17:31:29 Lauren Wood wrote:
>
>>The reason is to make sure this thing is of real value to OASIS member
>>organizations before making them decide whether it is an OASIS standard.
>>Getting that seal of approval isn't meant to be a rubber stamp; member
>>companies rightly want to know why it should be approved by OASIS. And
>>if you can't get 3 out of more than 200 member companies to bother to
>>implement it, how useful is it?
>>

>This sounds a bit like the "not invented here" syndrome becomes "not implemented here" for OASIS.  If there are already 3 useful implementations, why would we expect 200 member companies to implement the same thing?  Why would we expect even 3 member companies to implement the same thing?  I don't see it, I'm afraid.
>
>What if at least 3 (or N < 10) OASIS members acknowledged that they were using implementations of an TC spec, even if they didn't write it themselves?  Wouldn't that provide the kind of safety/sanity check that OASIS is apparently looking for?

"certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they
are successfully using the specification;"
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml
doesn't actually mention implementing it.

The reason for this wording: how do you "implement" a DTD like DocBook?

So, are there three OASIS member organizations currently "successfully
using" catalogs? With any software?

Lauren Wood, Director of Product Technology, SoftQuad Software
Chair, XML 2001 - Information at www.xmlconference.org