Subject: Re: [entity-resolution] Mixing XML Catalog and TR9401

I think there are two issues floating around here, and I would like
to try to separate them.

Point 1 is that XML Catalogs should have the same semantics, where
applicable, as TR 9401. This does not mean, to me, that they
necessarily be implemented the same way. As long as implementations
fulfill the specification, that's all that matters.

Point 2: in private email with Daniel, it appears that someone dug up
the issues list (Still, and hopefully for a while, at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/issues.html; I have also
linked to it from our group page).
" Should we assert that delegate and nextCatalog entries must point
to other instances of XML Catalogs? Is it an error for delegate and
nextCatalog to point to resources that are not XML Catalogs?

Resolved: 07 May 2001: No. If an application retrieves a catalog that
it does not understand, it should behave as if it was unable to find
the resource. And recover as per issue 15."

Someone is now expecting Daniel to implement a <nextCatalog> to point
to a TR 9401 catalog, which I don't think we ever expected or
discussed. My (I believe shared) expectation was that people would
translate TR 9401 catalogs to XML Catalogs and not seek to interleave
them. I therefore propose that we discuss this issue explicitly.

At the very least, that resolution of issue 23 needs to go into the
specification. I couldn't find it in there.