Subject: Re: [entity-resolution] (Fwd) Re: [entity-resolution] Mixing XML Catalog and TR9401

On 24 Mar 2003 at 18:26, Paul Grosso wrote:

> Not necessarily.  When we discussed this, I know Norm and I planned
> that our implementations (which already handle TR9401 catalogs) would
> accept either kind of catalog.  However, that is admittedly not something
> required by any given XML Catalog implementation.  Which is just what
> I think our wording says:  if an app cannot understand a catalog, it's
> as if there was no such resource.

That makes sense to me.

If I understand Daniel's point, he does implement TR 9401 (or at
least some of it) and XML Catalogs, but doesn't want to have the
latter call the former (doesn't want to have a <nextCatalog> element
point to a TR 9401 catalog), i.e. doesn't want to have his
implementations mixed. So the case of "doesn't understand" doesn't
really apply here AFAICS. (If this bit of logic is faulty, please let
me know. I'm only too willing to believe that I've got myself
slightly confused).

Is this a case we want to discuss in the spec? If so, do we want to
specify that implementors that implement both TR 9401 and XML
Catalogs must support <nextCatalog> pointing to a TR 9401 catalog? Or
do we want to allow them to not support this?