Subject: Re: status

/ "Lauren Wood" <lauren@textuality.com> was heard to say:
| at some stage we talked about maybe going for OASIS Standard but
| everyone seems to have been pretty busy since. Our last issue (system
| identifier matching) was discussed a little in January without much
| energy.

I'm really torn on this issue. For better or worse, actually, let's be
honest, for worse, there are APIs that are built on top of the
resolver such that they call resolveEntity() when they really should
be calling resolveURI().

That means they're searching for "external identifiers" when they
should be searching for URIs. That's going to mean people have to use
<system ...> when they should be using <uri ...>

I wonder if we should compromise a little. Maybe if someone searches
for an external identifier with a null public identifier, we should
search system entries (as we currently do) and if we don't find
anything, we should search uri entries?

| Making the catalogs into an OASIS Standard would cost some time but
| would also give a bit more of a fillip; we would have to do some
| marketing of course (and I'd have to finish that tutorial!)

I have a marginal preference for getting to OASIS Standard.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

PGP signature