etmf message

Subject: Re: Name of the OASIS eTMF Standard Technical Committee

Good morning Eldin,

Thank you (and Karen and Steve) for raising this concern to the Technical Committee's attention. It is an important issue. I will be at the next meeting and can help explain the options to everyone at that time.

Let me take a moment however to explain one part of the OASIS process. That is that changing the name of a TC cannot be done either under 2.11 (clarification) or 2.12 (rechartering). In section 2.12 of the TC Process (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#rechartering), the second paragraph reads:

"Rechartering shall not change the TC name nor the IPR Mode of the TC. If a different name or IPR Mode is desired then a new TC (with a unique name) must be formed and the normal rules for creating a new TC apply (see section 2.2)."

Thus the only way that a TC name can be changed under OASIS rules is to close the current TC and submit a new charter with the new name and, essentially, start all over again.

What we can do with no difficulty at all is to change the short descriptive tag line associated with the TC name, the introductory sections on the TC's home page, anything really on the public facing web page. That content is under the complete control of the TC at all times and we can do anything there that will help explain the intent of the TC better.

Again, I will be at next week's meeting and can explain things further. I felt though that it would be best to make this limitation clear immediately.

Best,

/chet