geolang-comment message

Subject: [geolang-comment] UN codes for the regions of the world

The UN apparently has numeric codes for the different regions of the
world, which I propose we add to our topic maps.
Source: http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/methods/m49regin.htm

These codes are chosen so as not to overlap with the
numeric codes in ISO 3166-1.  I present them here in the
form of a hierarchy; I have added the 2-letter (Internet domain)
codes for the countries in each leaf region.  The code 000 is not
part of the UN version.

000 000 The World
002 000 Africa
014 002 Eastern Africa BI KM DJ ER ET KE MG MW MU MZ RE RW SC SO UG TZ ZM ZW
017 002 Middle Africa AO CM CF TD CG CD GQ GA ST
015 002 Northern Africa DZ EG LY MA SD TN EH
018 002 Southern Africa BW LS NA ZA SZ
011 002 Western Africa BJ BF CV CI GM GH GN GW LR ML MR NE NG SH SN SL TG
019 000 Americas
419 019 Latin America and the Caribbean
029 419 Caribbean AI AG AW BS BB VG KY CU DM DO GD GP HT JM MQ MS AN PR
KN LC VC TT TC VI
013 419 Central America BZ CR SV GT HN MX NI PA
005 419 South America AR BO BR CL CO EC FK GF GY PY PE SR UY VE
021 019 Northern America BM CA GL PM US
142 000 Asia
030 142 Eastern Asia CN HK MO KP JP MN KR
062 142 South-central Asia AF BD BT IN IR KZ KG MV NP PK LK TJ TM UZ
035 142 South-eastern Asia BN KH TP ID LA MY MM PH SG TH VN
145 142 Western Asia AM AZ BH CY GE IQ IL JO KW LB PS OM QA SA SY TR AE YE
150 000 Europe
151 150 Eastern Europe BY BG CZ HU PL MD RO RU SK UA
154 150 Northern Europe DK EE FO FI IS IE LV LT NO SJ SE GB
039 150 Southern Europe AL AD BA HR GI GR VA IT MT PT SM SI ES MK YU
155 150 Western Europe AT BE FR DE LI LU MC NL CH
009 000 Oceania
053 009 Australia and New Zealand AU NZ NF
054 009 Melanesia FJ NC PG SB VU
057 009 Micronesia GU KI MH FM NR MP PW
061 009 Polynesia AS CK PF NU PN WS TK TO TV WF

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com