geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Quo vadis, GeoLang?

* Mary Nishikawa

| Reference for everyone to look at:
| http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC3066/Output/index.html
| This looks really nice, but I wonder if we can leave this for later. I
| think the our cups are full; if not overflowing ;-)

I agree that we should do these code sets one by one, and start with
ISO 639 and 3166. Once that's done I don't think this one will require
much work. The value is great, however, as lots of internet-related
specifications use RFC 3066 to identify languages.

| Yes, I think that the UN/LOCODE 2001-2 by UNECE (United Nations Code
| for Trade and Transport Locations) is important, but it might be
| better to tackle it later. Actually, a colleague of mine is working
| on this. I am trying to get him to join us. This codeset was
| suggested to be used internally because we need to represent
| geomarkets as well as countries.
| http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/service/main.htm

That's interesting, since it means that we know of one potential user
for the code set already. I guess PSIs for these codes would be of
much greater value to Schlumberger if others were also using the same
PSIs in their topic maps.

It seems especially interesting in that it seems to contain a mapping
to the IATA airport codes as part of the code set. That would mean
more bang for the buck.

I do agree that we should do other code sets before this one, though.

| That's 32,300 locations. I hope somebody has a script.

The HTML pages you referred to should be easy to handle with a bit of
Python.