geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] UN regional code vs. LOCODE (was: Quo vadis,GeoLang?)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| I wonder if [UN/LOCODE] is the same code set that is documented on these
| pages: <URL: http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/methods/m49.htm >. If it is
| we've already been thinking of covering it, since Murray Altheim
| already has done an initial proposal on it.

* John Cowan

| No, that is the U.N. code for regions *of the world*, which I summarized
| in http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/geolang-comment/200202/msg00000.html

Right. Then that's the one I've been calling UN/M49, for want of an
official name. If someone knows of one it would be nice to get that in
place.

| LOCODE is documented at http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/service/main.htm
| It provides codes of the form xx-yyy (where xx is an ISO 3166-1 country code)
| for the seaports, airpors, road terminals, and rail terminals of the world.
| This is intended to be used in international commerce, to eliminate such
| problems as London vs. Londres, Livorno vs. Leghorn, Moscow vs. Moskva,
| etc. etc.

I understand.

| For some countries, ISO 3166-2 information (on states/provinces/admin
| districts) is also provided, which provides a partial source of
| ISO 3166-2 codes, AFAIK not otherwise online.

I've noticed. I think in the cases there LOCODE provides a mapping we
should also provide it in our PSI set. In the cases where it does not,
even if the mapping is obvious, we should not do it, but leave it for
others to do. (Those others might well be us with our OASIS TC hats
off, of course.)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| If not I think it sounds like a code set that might be useful, but I
| don't really know anything about it. Could you say something about
| who uses it?

* John Cowan

| Every part of the U.N. involved in trade.  Other IGOs such as the
| EU statistical division.  Anyone who needs a list of important
| cities.  Reuters (I hope).

In that case it gets difficult to argue that we should skip it. It's
obviously less central than ISO 3166-1, but still seems important and
useful.  Note that it doesn't only cover important cities. Some of the
ones covered in Norway are very very minor indeed.

I even see one problem with it: there's an NO-EID code, but there are
several places which could be designated by the code. Is there any way
to know which one is meant?