geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] what is a language

* Murray Altheim

| If we can convince the SIL to provide a PSI set for all of their
| languages, that would be great!

It would, and this has to be our goal, I think. My thinking is that we
should finish the ISO 639 and 3166 PSI sets first, so that we have
examples to show people we contact. Then we can consider what to do
next. Sooner or later I would like to do the Ethnologue.

| In fact, I personally would offer to do the work (you can pass that
| along) if they don't have someone on staff to do it and they're
| willing to commit someone's time to working with me.

That may be a useful offer when the time comes.

| We could very likely automate it.

They are using a database, so I would expect that to be possible, and
quite likely even simple.