geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Baltimore minutes

* Mary Nishikawa

| Following what Lars Marius already proposed, the human readable file
| was the index file in directory iso639 and it will be changed to  639?
| Going with the numeric codes,  the psi for Norway would be this:
| http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/#578

This is correct.

| We can use the new dublin core medata registry for the controlled
| vocabulary for terms such as publisher, source, etc.   For example,
| they have already placed "PSIs" in their  Metadata registry
| http://dublincore.org/dcregistry/index.html
|
| Search for "publisher" display  "controlled vocabulary terms" in their
| metadata registry and you will get
| http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/publisher
|
| with its description.

I like the idea in general. The only problem is that they return RDF
instead of something human-readable. We may decide to ignore that,
though.

* Steve Pepper

| believe we also considered using "http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/";
| as the PSI for the PSI set itself (as per ex2).

* Mary Nishikawa

| I am not so sure why we would need a psi for the psi set itself.

We can't attach machine-oriented metadata to the PSI set unless we
have a PSI for it. Generally, anything we want to speak about we will
need PSIs, and this will include OASIS itself, for example.

* Steve Pepper

| That would of course conflict with its possible use for ISO 639 (the
| standard, as opposed to the PSI set). Perhaps the standard should
| have the PSI "http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/#639/";? That way all
| PSIs for ISO standards that we translate will be in the same
| resource. Nice and tidy.

* Mary Nishikawa

| I would rather the standard use http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/

The problem with that is that then the resource you get back from that
URI would have to describe the ISO 639 standard, but that doesn't fit
so well with what it's made to do. It describes the PSI set, and so it
makes a lot of sense to have it be the PSI for the PSI set.

| Question: Do we need a psi for oasis, or is the domain enough?

We need a PSI for OASIS; the question is whether we can use the domain
as the PSI. Personally I think that's a bad idea. What you get when
you resolve http://www.oasis-open.org is not a published subject
indicator, though it can be used as a subject indicator. I think
having a dedicated URI is far better.

| I think that If we discuss this at the Published Subjects TC meeting
| we should have a joint meeting then with the Geolang members and
| announce this to them too.
|
| The Geoloang members who are not in the Published subjects TC  are
| John Cowan and Peter Pappamikail, perhaps?

John has resigned, so Peter is, I think, the only person in that set.