geolang message

Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Plan for Progress in the TCs

* Patrick Durusau

| Well, we are making good progress in ISO on topic maps but I think
| we would all agree that progress in the OASIS TCs has fallen on hard
| times.

Yes.

| The suggested course of action was to hold teleconferences (can all
| be on one call if the memberships in fact identical) to do the
| following:
|
| 1. Dissolve the GeoLang TC in favor of continuing work in PubSubj.
|
| 2. Dissolve the XMLVoc TC in favor of continuing work in PubSubj.
|
| 3. Decide in PubSubj whether to create subcommittees at this point to
|    continue the work of GeoLang and XMLVoc. (Could always be created,
|    as well as any other subcommittees at some later point.)
|
| 4. Discuss in PubSubj how to update the charter in terms of new
|    deliverables and what we would like to do for XML 2004.

This sounds like a good idea to me. In fact, we should have done this
a while ago. This reduces the administrative overhead quite a lot,
without really making what we want to do any harder.

| As the presentations over the last several XML conferences
| demonstrates, interest in topic maps is on the upswing and I think
| we would all agree that published subjects are one of the obvious
| 'first contact' areas for other technologies with topic maps.

Agreed.

| The SBL would be willing to sponsor the conference calls, and may I
| suggest that we say the 29th of October as a likely date?

Not really, I'm afraid, as that is a Friday, and so not a good day for
people in Europe to work late, as they inevitably must if the US
members are to get their morning sleep. Good days for me would be
October 25 and November 1.

While we wait for the concall I'd like to outline what I think the TC
should be doing. First of all, I think we should finish the two PSI
sets from GeoLang, as these are very nearly done, and as I think the
PubSubj TC needs more experience in publishing PSIs before it can
really get much more done.

After this I think we should discuss what to do next, which might or
might not involve more GeoLang PSI sets.