Subject: Fw: [humanmarkup] Digest Number 171

(cross post of YahooGroups messages from Aug 24 2001)

----- Original Message -----
From: <humanmarkup@yahoogroups.com>
To: <humanmarkup@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 6:15 AM
Subject: [humanmarkup] Digest Number 171

> Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY
THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
> DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/VihfLB/nT7CAA/yigFAA/2U_rlB/TM

> There are 8 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
>       1. food for thought
>            From: "Michael Lacy" <michael_lacy@yahoo.com>
>       2. RE: food for thought
>            From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
>       3. Re: food for thought
>            From: "Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga" <rkthunga@humanmarkup.org>
>       4. Re: food for thought
>            From: "Kurt Cagle" <kurt@kurtcagle.net>
>       5. RE: food for thought
>            From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
>       6. RE: food for thought
>            From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
>       7. RE: food for thought
>            From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
>       8. Re: food for thought
>            From: "Michael Lacy" <michael_lacy@yahoo.com>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:43:35 -0000
>    From: "Michael Lacy" <michael_lacy@yahoo.com>
> Subject: food for thought
>
> Music is often considered as a "universal" language for emotion that
> can be understood by all people from different backgrounds. Through
> music, one can express sadness, anger, humor, elation...in fact, just
> about every emotion conceivable that comprise the "human experience."
>
> I'm wondering if it might make sense to look to music and other
> artistic endeavors as guides to the creation of HumanML. The arts can
> be considered as vehicles for the expression of human emotions, with
> an infinitely wide range of subtlety and directness.  By examining
> music and understanding the vocabulary used to express different
> emotions, we might be able to understand better what it is that makes
> us human, that makes us expressive.
>
> There's no need to reinvent the wheel here (at least that's what I
> think)...we just need to modify it to suit the context and
> environment in which we are seeking to express ourselves. Music and
> the arts are but manifestations of this same principle which we can
> look to as guides.
>
> thoughts?
>
> -michael lacy

> Message: 2
>    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:52:44 -0500
>    From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
> Subject: RE: food for thought
>
> Yes, we discussed that given there are some
> musicians on the list.  Also note that the
> Laban Movement Analysis as referenced in the
> paper "The EMOTE Model for Shape And Effort"
> cited by Rex a few days ago makes references
> to this comparison.
>
> The musical analogy comes up often in discussions
> of sequencing, intensity factors, articulation
> etc.  It's a good comparison.  It can't be applied
> directly in the sense that it is not an emotion,
> but a rendering based on an emotion or evocative
> of one.  It is tough to get that distinction but vital.
> We did a thread on Indian dance drama and ragas
> [...]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup) and join the new mailing
list.)

> Hi Michael,
>
> This is very insightful.  The arts certainly convey human qualities in a
manner that goes beyond simply words.  HumanML serves as the middle
layer--the layer of computer readable, extractable, explicity emotional
metadata.  Art and music could translate into HumanML, or translate out of
HumanML, based on the applications on either end.

> We are currently assembling taxonomies, or classifications from various
spheres.  Music and art vocabularies could be a great source of inspiration
for HumanMarkup.

> Certainly what could aid this process are some standard classification
systems of human characteristics through music.  Are you coming from a music
background yourself?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/