Subject: RE: HM.Frameworks: Physical Description

I assume this is based on David Brock's work.  The papers at the site make it
clear that the smart tags system are not to be used with people.

Biometric systems are used for identity.  ID card scans are used as well
in both commercial and federal systems (when moving prisoners for example).
They all depend on a naming service as does Brock's system.

I am still looking at the PML.  It appears initially to substantially duplicate
the work done on PDES.  It makes the claim for simplicity, the usual obeisiance
to HTML and the usual "SGML is too complex", but also coveniently forgets
that all of these systems also started out as simple.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

-----Original Message-----
From: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga [mailto:rkthunga@humanmarkup.org]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 4:33 PM
To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: HM.Frameworks: Physical Description

A guid based on physical characteristics.  I would think biometric means I would assume (fingerprint, retina scans, etc) are of couse guids that could be used for identity I would think?  I know you mentioned a GUID system you were working on sudhakar.

Physical characteristics, as they aid in the communications process or representing avatars of individuals, or in medicine, auditioning, online dating--are what are the most obvious applications (from my personal perspective at least) see their importance in describing them during communication.  If you are working on something that goes into much more precise detail, as long as done in a modular fashion (the amount of detail corresponding to detail necessary), then I could see a good interface between the projects.

It may be quite complementary to formally establish a subcommittee in HumanMarkup for physical descriptions (we could consider this one domain), along with psychological, social, and cultural descriptions as being some other domains (or taxonomies)...some more time to finalize nomenclature.  Regardless, it seems like a complementary match.

(Well, humanmarkup.org and my email were down for 3 hours...now that it's up, I checked, and it appears some of my email has vanished...oh well, that's life..;-).)

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga