Subject: RE: Profiling in the News: Was: RE: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

Mapping is the *process* whereby the URI becomes
the identifier.  An SSN is not a URI.  I can
use a URI in a namespace for disambiguating
names.   No problem.  I can also write the
schemas such that names are never ambiguous.

I didn't rule out using URIs.  I said I don't
need them to build schemas or declare property
sets.  I need them when I want to use those
reliably on the Internet.   Some systems never
use the Internet but can use XML.  HumanML
can be applied to non-Internet systems.

We can apply RDF and or XML Schemas or even
RELAX NG but we have to assess the buy in
given customers who are thralls to tools.  Today
we can go faster and get on more systems using
the schemas.  The question is technically one
of representational power but in project time,
one of isolating the domains.  For that reason,
I welcome the parallel examples.  For the same
reason, I don't like to see HumanML labeled as
a Semantic Web project.   Too many contracts
and not enough working lawyers.

We should be assessing the prototype schemas,
not debating URIs, RDF, the Semantic Web or
other initiatives.  If we can get the property
sets scoped, defined and documented, we have
time to work out alternative representations
for different processing environments.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.