Subject: RE: Profiling in the News: Was: RE: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

Put a dog and a girl next to the lamppost and repeat.
That gives the problem more illumination power.

Hint: first she has to know where you are looking
so she will test the space of objects.   Isolate in
order what is needed for the context.  What human
properties will she use to do that?  Don't go too
deep (she won't evaluate the universe, she won't
try to work out the existential dilemmas of doggyness,
and she does know your sense of humor because after
all, she is YourGirlfriend).  What does she know?
What facilities (hint: senses) does she use?  Why did she pick
that response instead of simply agreeing with you
given there is a dog and a girl next to the lamppost?

This is a nice simple communication between consenting
and familiar humans that is capable of being misinterpreted,
but IT WASN'T.  Why?

Regardless of how you represent it (subject, object, predicate)
or (name, subname, value), the communication occurs
in a context that has multiple sets of properties
and you have to figure out if there is an invariant
that selects the object(s) so you can then evaluate
the statement, or if the properties in aggregate
provide a testable assertion.  (at the bottom,
you may find a use for the strength value of
the relationship but try other solutions first).

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h