Subject: Re: HM.applications-Translations

[...]
> But it is DARPA driving the train now, now TimBL.

I presume you mean "not TimBL". I'm slightly apprehensive about this new
guy taking over the project lead of DAML, because JimH was very good, but
he comes with recommendation... we shall soon find out. JimH is now
chairing WebONT, of course, so that's a turn up.

> The unremarkable part is not because it won't work;
> as all the years of research in Prolog, expert systems
> etc. proved, in some cases and at some scales, it will
> work.  But just as those systems demonstrated, there
> are representation exchange issues [...]

Yeah, but you've gotta love 'em really, eh? It keeps all the AI/KR/CG  folk
in business. There are currently problems in expressing FOPL in RDF (well,
there always have been), but we can use enough to get by, and there are
enough hacks to sort it all out. DanC just sent a good message to
www-rdf-logic about it; here's an excerpt:-

[[[
I think I've got a handle on how to relate N3
{} syntax to KIF, i.e. FOPL + quoting.
log:forAll and log:forSome are special-magic syntax,
but all the rest comes out in the wash.
]]] - [1]

Neat stuff.

> [...] if you want to be an SW supporter, name
> out front and all that, you don't want to be the
> next Henry Blodgett either.

I think that considering the objective view that I take, that's unlikely to
happen. And BTW, I think you mean "Henry Blodget": only one "t". Unless
you're talking about some other guy :-)

[1] From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>