Subject: RE: HM.applications-Profiling-Level of Details/Abstraction

**including Sean's realization of the example here***

Beautiful Sean!

To make that a little easier, the authors summarize
analogy as "deliberate analogy" and it works like

"Given a task with an item Y that is a member of a specific category, recall
how to perform the same task with another member, X, of the same category,
then do what you would do for X, except replace all occurrences of X by Y."

The implication of course is that the system matches and tries
a similar action.  If it works, it adds that fact to the knowledge
base.  If it doesn't, it tries something else.

There is an old rule of thumb about analogical systems that
says "don't play zero-sum games", or by example, don't play
Russian/American roulette.

We're getting example bound, but the idea is to show
that the levels of detail are hard to come by without
a working example, and the example can be chosen from
scenarios.

To complete this for a proto-prototype, we might
try to show how this information would be used
by the VHML avatar to demonstrate or explain
to a car user how to turn on the air conditioner.
More specific and a bit tougher
given a hot car with children in it, how to show the children.
(let's say they do have the key and we don't want them
to get out of the car.  This isn't realistic but
I don't want to make a harder example.).

For VHML to be more than static presentation,
it requires an interface back to a sensor-active
system with a contextual knowledge base.  Now,
children shouldn't be scared into doing something
and might be panicked, might be strapped in, etc.
So the VHML capability to control emotion given
a situation, a context, and a particular human
with particular characteristics would be a very
effective communicator.

Car detects temperature, children in children's
seats.  Knows children's names, weights, ages
(humanML facts) and has a set of vocabularies
it can select from given these facts.  Also
knows mother's cell phone and local public
safety systems numbers (child might fail to
act and/or temperature is increasing fast).

An example more useful than a refrigerator
telling an oven the temperature to cook
pizza at is useful.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard