Subject: Re: Tragedy

Title: Re: Tragedy
I would like to add my voice and sentiments to this.

At 12:20 PM -0400 9/11/01, Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga wrote:
HumanMarkup Technical Committee,

We have somewhat hidden or obscure our idealism, as part of the HumanMarkup effort.  Yet, the utter terrible reality of human conflict is right outside my window--literally.  I have seen, from my view in Jersey City, the utter destruction of the World Trade Center.

We HAVE somewhat hidden or obscured our idealism, for what I thought were good reasons, reasons of acceptance. However, that kind of acceptance is not acceptable in a world where this horror is fostered. I have been a voice in favor of de-emphasizing our idealism. In light of this tragedy, our idealism begins to look more like pragmatism, which was my choice of approach all along. We need to get our ideals realized, so gaining acceptance was, and still is, of paramount importance. But we need to show that acceptance of HumanMarkup as one helpful means to change the human reality we witnessed today is the only kind of acceptance that is acceptable, whether our idealism is applauded or ridiculed.

Human conflict exists continue to multiply.   We HAVE to end the root causes of this of human conflict, or dedicate our lives trying.  This isn't idealism.  This is real terror that present day solutions are not effective.  Real hate and anger, diverted to cause the thousands upon thousands of casualities that mark only this one moment.

There are many root causes to these conflicts. The arrogance of the west. The fanaticism of Islamic Fundamentalists. The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict over Jerusalem and and a Palestinian State. Ethnic and Tribal Conflicts going back thousands of generations. The cycle of violence and vengeance.

No, we can't dance around around the ideals of the project.  The amount we spent on our existing communication and military systems ARE SIMPLY NOT EFFECTIVE IN DEALING WITH HUMAN CONFLICT.  New systems are needed.

Exactly, and we need to make it known, and somehow widely accepted that ONLY NEW systems can accomplish this. And we need to get this known in closed societies that do not encourage or allow free flow of information or individualism. We need a new adoption of indvidualism, through a widening spread of individual responsibility. Individual Responsibility, not reliance on any creed or dogma or religion is required for a truly humane world.

Whether fantastical or not, whether criticized or not,  whether successful or not, whether qualified or not, we ALL have to work together to TRULY end to do our best developing a new world system of human communication and conflict elimination.  We have no choice...

Let's work to make sure it is not fantastical.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
OASIS HumanMarkup TC Chair
rkthunga@humanmarkup.org
(646) 456-9076