Subject: RE: markup race

BTW:  it is a tougher struggle in some of these
databases to get the designers and data owners
to change sex to gender.  That is why there
is an "impersonator" field there; not that we
have to keep it, but I wanted to show how
some dbs deal with that.  Strange?  Nope.
Common.

Race never comes up as an issue because they
assume everyone can use that correctly.  There
is another field one sees called "ethnicity".
Weirdly, in national crime reporting systems,
it only has one value:  Hispanic.  Go figure.

And this is a problem of design by extraction
from extant systems.  We should be careful as
Volker's example points out, to question the
terms and inquire of the context of use.  Almost
any term is loaded in some context and we will
run into more of these as we go along.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.