Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] RE: conflict transformation

The communication follows the threads in categorical abstraction:

and interculturalinsights

***

Of course the notion of ownership varies from country to country, and there
are many ways for the ownership issues to be beneficial and many ways that
these issues of ownership can be subverted.

Public good and corporate good seems a clear distinction in a democracy
where money is not controling the politics (elections).  This is way campain
finance issues are so important and why the up going court battles are
critical to the future of the American democracy.

From complexity theory one has some intellectual leverage on the issue of
ownership - since absolute ownership is absolute reductionism in several
interesting ways.  So the argument that absolute ownership be held in the
hands of "levels of organization" seems powerful.  Individuals can own,
States can own, and Nations can own... but also corporations can own.
Ownership implies rights and responsibilities.  This is where the battle
must be pitched against pure capitalism and pure democracy.  Ownership has
to accept a proper level of responsibility, and often the accepting of this
responsiblity reduces profits.  The duality is between rights of the center
(endophysics) and responsiblity to the environment (exophysics.)

So the ownership of the public land by a corporation to re-novate a hotel,
must have responsibilities.  There also must be a level of organization so
that the ownership of the public land by a corporation is not only by one
corporation but by a class of corporations.

The rights and responsiblities are then defined as right and
responsibilities of the class.

I also have big problems with allowing a corporation to have the right to
own "public" land.  If there is only a charter of the corporation that
dirves profits.  However, if the charter is to own for the benefit of the
public - properly defined to be a class of person - including those not
receiving direct compensation; then these may be a good.

See the Charter of the BCNGroup

http://www.bcngroup.org/admin/Charter.html

as an example of a "public" corporation that has well stated
responsibilities to the human community.