Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Notice of OASIS HumanMarkup TC Work

Dear Colleagues:

By a rather circuitous route, we became aware of your company
yesterday, through a cross connection with the the RDF-Interest
mailing list and one of our members. This was purely innocent of any
motivation to use any part of your work in our efforts, and
illustrates a danger we now face as we move forward to write the
first candidate specification of our OASIS HumanMarkup Technical
Committee.

I say this explicitly so you know that, while we have become aware of
your efforts, we have not studied it. One member of our group has
done the demo available on your website, and I am hereby giving
notice that the rest of us SHOULD NOT do so.

Unfortunately, due to the recent actions of some members of the
MPEG-4 standard group seeking to enforce patents which encumber that
specification, I have to ask that none of our members make themselves
any more familiar with your work than they have already, and make it
public record that we first became cognizant of your company only
yesterday, 5 May 2002.

The way that patent and copyright and international ipr law works,
any significant knowledge of pre-existing artwork--such as your
website and the materials contained therein--can, (and I emphasize
the word CAN), constitute prior knowledge of pre-existing artwork
which could (and I emphasize the world COULD), consitute actionable
infringement of patents and copyrights held by MST Corporation.

We invite you to make yourselves aware of our standards effort to
create a Human Markup Language specification under the auspices of
OASIS, The Organization for theAdvancement of Structured Information
Standards.

Our url is: http://www.oasis-open.org/committtees/humanmarkup

Our effort is an open, public process, and available to public
scrutiny at any time, and I suggest that you make yourselves aware of
our work and of the rules governing OASIS, its members and Technical
Committees since it is within the context of those rules that our
OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee is proceeding to create the
Human Markup Language specifications.

If you have any questions we would be happy to answer them and we
invite you to join us under the rules referred to above, but we
hereby make it clear that we have no interest in your products or
services and we hereby state that any apparent duplication of efforts
or similarities in methods or research is purely coincidental and all
of our work has been done without and specific prior knowledge of
your efforts, products or services.

Note to HumanMarkup TC members: We will have to be extra diligent in
the future about discoveries such as this, and pause before allowing
ourselves to explore any apparently proprietary efforts which overlap
our interests. As I mentioned, MPEG-4 has placed its standard beyond
our reach, and we could imperil our standard by making ourselves
aware in any depth of proprietary work that we think may have some
significance or impact for us.

As an example, in January I attended the architecture review meetings
of the Web 3D Consortium, and met the MPEG-4 representative there,
who was also the Nexternet contact person in the ill-fated attempt I
made last year to build a Joint Project with the Naval Postgraduate
School, Nexternet and Humanmarkup.org, Inc,--the separate Non-Profit
organization that is a another continuation of the Human Markup
Initiative from Phase 0.

We had to ask him not to go into details of the proposals he had in
hand to more closely integrate MPEG-4 with the X3D specification
being codified as the next version of the  Web 3D standard for ISO.
He swore he could guarantee that there would be no encumbrance and no
conflicts of interest.

There was, and there are and after more than 4 years of close
association, we may be now in the position of defending that standard
against claims from MPEG-4 which used many portions of the
VRML97-compliant Humanoid Animation specification as part of its
definitions for such things as facial and body animation parameters
for streaming applications. I do not think that our HumanMarkup work
is in any danger from contamination from MPEG-4, although we will be
using the standardized terminology for bodily parts and segments,
joints and feature points which are also used in MPEG-4 and VRML97,
as well as other standard definitions and descriptions of the human
body.

Regards,
Rex Brooks
OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee Vice Chair, Secretary and Webmaster