Subject: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-artifact

Clarification: My calls for discussion don't at this point mean that
I want or think we need to settle on a precise xsd definition of a
particular element for our schema per se, although if we arrive at a
good consensus, we can leave that thread as settled, which requires
no further action on anyone's part at that point.

It is, however, necessary, if we want to say that we have reached
that point of a settled consensus on an element to put it into
well-formed xsd format. For elements which are included in the
existent schema, we need to have an amended coding for that element
put forward upon which we can settle. This is Len's perogative. We
can then just leave that thread until we gather the entire document
up for an official draft and vote and recommendation.

Is that agreeable?

As for the prospective definition here for artifact, I don't have a
specific objection, but I do have a strong desire to know that our
definition is in agreement with general use in anthropology,
archeology, cognitive science, AI Studies. Or at least does not
conflict with such definitions and usages.

It is not that I am against adding new dimensions or breaking new
ground for any term, only that it not break with current best
practices or academic usages. Artifact is just such a term, and the
concept of address as subform is a fairly unusual interpretation,
which needs additional explanation for our audiences. In fact this
approach below could be very useful as a method. If I could get Manos
to explore it as a way to build a Topic Map of Associations for our
xml elements, it would probably also be useful for helping build an
RDF Schema as we go along.

One thing that Sylvia's work continues to point up for me is that we
need to attempt to keep a running expostulation of our work if we
can, to improve the understanding of it when we present it. I have
suggested to Philip to include textual explanations of his work, and
Rob has already done so, as has Sylvia.

We can use our mailing list for this purpose, as well, but I ask that
we use a separate threading for that purpose, such as "Thoughts on a
hetnet of or for Humanmarkup."

However, on a purely practical note: I belong to several mailing
lists, and while I send my both plan and styled, I try to avoid
allowing my browser to send html, since I get my chops busted for
that on a regular basis whenever I do, so I would really appreciate
it if we refrained from including markup in our posts except when
giving coding samples or obvious humorous points. I will try to find
my sense of humor, one of these days, honest.